Friday, September 5, 2008

The Art of the Haunted Mansion

I just ordered a copy of the Art of the Haunted Mansion, which has some great concept art, wardrobe, makeup and visual effects images from the bomber movie. (Which, in its defense, had some great visuals... and the ride had so much potential...)

Only a handfull of these books were ever printed and distributed, I think, to those affiliated with the project. So I thought I'd post some of my favorite images from the book. My scanner is pretty primitive and small and a lot of these images are quite big (the book is large) so don't make any composition judgments... Overall, I love the tone of these pictures. I just wish they carried through the entire movie. There are plenty more images that I'd like to post some day, including the great changing portraits that were redesigned just for the movie. In Jason Surrell's text, he notes that Rob Minkoff keyed "haunted elegance" to describe the look of the film: "a prase that perfectly captured the unique blend of Gothic horror, romance, fantasy and refinement that he was seeking... The result [of the reimagined house] was an architectural marvel and a masterpiece of interior design, the central character in Rob Minkoff's 'haunted fairy tale.'"




I love the ghostly detail of the body in the lake in the bottom of the black and white illustration.



This image is much larger, but I was mostly interested in the twisting Underwold that warps from a horizontal plane in the foreground to a vertical plane in the background.





Just a couple great '80's fantasy movie-ish' practical makeup corpse faces





Notice the hidden ghost faces in the shadows

2 comments:

Park Street Rambler said...

The third image down looks like something inspired by Milton's 'Paradise Lost' and the artwork of William Blake. Very cool.

Anonymous said...

Hello
I was wondering, in the book does it say who the artist was for that painting below the black and white image? Also, does the book include images of the movie sets? Lastly, does it have the architectural drawings of the rooms and exteriors?

Thank you!