Saturday, September 27, 2008

Cave Monster

I've been working on a cave monster puppet for a short project I'll be shooting next week so I thought I'd post my progress. This charming guy is still in the works but he's almost ready for his close-up.

First, I sculpted him in a slow air drying modeling clay. I'm keeping it up in my apartment because it reminds me of one of Catherine O'Hara's sculptures in Beetlejuice.



Then I cast him in latex, painted him, and added some teeth and eye accessories. You can see part of the cave texture I've been working on behind the latex puppet. It's a giant nest of chicken wire, paper maché, plaster and dribbling, watery paint riddles.







I'll be working on some details next and then I hope to get some thick oozy cave monster goo on him for my shoot. More to come...

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Ian this is so cool! Monstery goo sounds fun to work with :)